Staying the course means pushing forward in the direction of a goal despite setbacks. The concept of “staying the course” can be applied to a variety of different situations. We’d all work out every day if we were motivated solely by our desire to do so.
It is common for people to face adversity while pursuing long-term goals.
Many factors influence whether or not people succeed in their endeavors, including whether or not they persevere when faced with adversity.
To deal with change or deflect negativity can be difficult. Avoiding your feelings is also not a good idea.
Sometimes it’s hard to just let the things that are eating at us “just roll off our backs“. We may find it difficult to maintain our physical and mental health during times of great change.
Managing change is like steering a ship. It’s impossible to make a left turn on a dime when you’re in charge of such a massive ship.
By moving in small increments, you’ll eventually be able to execute that turn and get back on your intended path.
25 Best Quotes on Staying the Course
Here are some encouraging quotes on staying the course:
- If you know you are right, stay the course even though the whole world seems to be against you and everyone you know questions your judgment. When you prevail
and you eventually will if you stick to the job they will all tell you that they knew all along you could do it.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
- From this point forward, you don’t even know how to quit in life.
- The most important thing is to stay the course – not to get shaken out of the market during a difficult time.
-John W. Rogers Jr.
- We love being mentally strong, but we hate situations that allow us to put our mental strength to good use.
- Sometimes you can’t see the road ahead but as you keep going, it gets clearer. Stay the course as the fog of life dissipates.
- Life changes so quickly and like a sailboat you either wait for whatever crosswind comes your way to move you on your journey or you can decide where you want to go and use the ship’s engine to stay on course.
- Most people you have known or will ever know will look upon you with utter disdain. Why? The strength of your spirit unnerves their friends.
- To those with the courage to stay on course, and those with the imagination to wander.
- Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you.
-Jeffrey R. Holland
- Keep writing. It’s all terrible in the beginning.
- Change moves incrementally from breath to breath and moment to moment, allowing for course correction along the way.
- A phenomenal woman is never limited by a phenomenon. She goes out there and stays the course until she prospers.
-Gift Gugu Mona
- The race doesn’t always belong to the swift nor the battle to the strong. It belongs rather to those who run the race, who stay the course, and who fight the good fight.
- Legends should stay legends otherwise they just become history, when the natural course of things is the other way around, from history to legend.
- Feeling tired should rarely be an excuse because your body has huge reserves of energy. But if you eat badly, stay out late, drink too much, and so on, you’ll pay a price on the course.
- Sooner or later, everyone’s story has an unfortunate event or two. The solution, of course, is to stay as far away from the world as possible and lead a safe, simple life.
- Relationship gurus always said that an attraction based on friendship and mutual respect was far more likely to stay the course – and the bastards were right.
- The most important role of a leader is to set a clear direction, be transparent about how to get there and stay the course.
- You know in your heart when you’re doing the right thing and when you’re not. And you just have to do everything you can to stay the course.
- Stay the course. When thwarted, try again; harder; smarter. Persevere relentlessly.
- Doubt is a storm. We either ride it out, or we change our course. Neither is right nor wrong to stay or go.
- Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
-Omar N. Bradley
- The course of true love never did run smooth.
- Stay the course, light a star, Change the world wherever you are.
-Richard Le Gallienne
- A spider had no special skill other than building its web, and no lifestyle choice other than sitting still. It would stay in one place waiting for its prey until, in the natural course of things, it shriveled up and died.
Everyone fails at some point. Even if you’ve done everything you can to meet your goals, you’ll still fall short of them at some point because of circumstances beyond your control.
Those who succeed, however, are those who have an unwavering resolve and determination to accomplish the task at hand.
Nothing could put a damper on their success. They go into everything they do with the belief that they will succeed in the long run.
Tips on How To Keep Staying The Course
We can choose to start over every time we fall by choosing to get back up and choose a new beginning. Let us help you refocus and get back on track.
Here are the tips to help you stay the course and refocus while your life falls back:
1. Failure is Setback
See the failure as a setback, an opportunity to learn and improve. Adjust your plan after reflecting on the setback. When you fall, you can learn from it and become stronger. Always remember what FAIL stands for, First Attempt In Learning.
2. Manage your Goals
Break your goal down into smaller, more manageable steps, building momentum. It inspires us to keep going when we celebrate our wins, big or small. Prepare for a quick win and don’t plan.
3. You Are Not Alone In This
Ask for help from people who have been where you are going and succeeded in your endeavors. Find an online group, community, or friends where you can network, ask questions, and receive great advice.
4. Recall Your Core Values
To avoid spiraling into a negative downward spiral, remember what is truly important and be grateful for them before you achieve your goal. Begin each day by thanking God for all the good things that have happened.
5. Visualize Positive Outcomes
Visualize positive outcomes to train your brain and focus your thoughts. Visualize reaching your goal. Spend the day walking around as if you’ve already achieved it.
6. Recognize And Appreciate Your Gifts.
Rather than focusing on your weaknesses, ask yourself how your strengths can help you achieve your objective. Profit from the positive by helping others who are less advanced than you. They will help you identify your gifts if you are unsure of them.
7. Believe in Yourself
You are exactly where you should be right now. Present-focused living with a sense of impending success A lot of people give up too early, before taking the final step that leads to happiness.
Changing your life is impossible as long as you keep doing the same things.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is a well-known definition of insanity.
Make a change, no matter how big or small, and know that no one but you is keeping you from achieving your goals.